St Mary’s Cathedral

The Cathedral Church of St Mary’s was originally designed by A W N Pugin, constructed in 1844 and is considered to be part of the region’s architectural heritage. The replacement of the entire floor in the cathedral was part of a major renovation project and included the Sanctuary, main aisle, Blessed Sacrament Chapel and Lady Chapel.

Craven Dunnill Jackfield produced 70 different tiles: 11,835 hand-made encaustic in varying patterns and sizes, and 36,862 hand-cut geometric tiles plus lettering tiles in Pugin’s typeface.

Kevin Doonan Architects created the designs using traditional encaustic patterns from our archive catalogue; we then generated over 50 scaled CAD technical drawings, translating the design into a workable floor plan.