St. Paul’s Station

St Paul’s Station, originally known as Post Office after opening in 1900 until the late 1930s, saw extensive reconstruction in 1937/39 as part of a widespread programme carried out by London Underground during the 1920s and ‘30s, to replace original lifts with escalators. This often required, as at St Pauls, the development of entirely new ticket hall facilities relocated at street level. Alas, St Paul’s new surface building had a short life being demolished during the Blitz. The station only regained a permanent surface building in 1973 and the now tatty, original platform finishes were re-tiled in white in 1987.

Upgrade works in more recent times have seen a continuation of the ‘Central line’ theme of white metric modular ceramics. These were developed by Craven Dunnill Jackfield, in partnership with Johnson Tiles, to meet London Underground’s technical needs, with contrasting colours carried throughout the station.