Leeds Library

The Leeds Municipal Buildings (now Leeds Library) were completed in 1884 and designed by George Corson at a time when tile making had just exploded and decorative tiles had become highly esteemed status symbols. It was during the 1950’s that the excesses of the Reading Room, also known as the Tiled Hall, fell into disrepair.

We were contracted to make and supply over 15,000 hand-made tiles in 46 different designs and varieties of colour for the renovation of the spectacular Victorian Reading Room at Leeds Municipal Library.

New moulds for each pattern were carefully carved, blocks made and tiles cast in special clay bodies, followed by hand-dipping in glazes to reflect the myriad of hues the original tiles had taken on over time.