Kennington Station

Kennington was a station on the world’s first electric tube line that opened in 1890, although major changes to create what is now the Northern line in 1924/6 saw a massive reconstruction at platform level. The vivid multi-colour mix of border tiles on a pale grey/white field at this Listed station was deliberately retained during the station’s latest modernisation, at both ticket hall and platform levels. The station is now undergoing another major reconstruction as part of the North line extension to Battersea Power Station.

Craven Dunnill Jackfield manufactured a series of coloured strip tiles and double arris fittings, hand-decorating the glaze to replicate the shading found on the original tiles. This allowed for a seamless replication of the vivid and multi-coloured design; a design which follows through into a complex maze of interconnecting passageways and stairwells.